View Full Version : Some questions
11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey ya'll guess who :D So I've got a few questions about the editor that I can't figure out and can't find answers to, so I thought I'd post 'em here and see if you guys can help me out. :)
1. I'm getting some graphic issues with the Sky Dome, added a pic so you can see what I mean; http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=issuexi8.jpg
2. When I spawn mobs they don't move they just stand there, also if I want to spawn more then one how do I make 'em all spawn at once? So far I've manage to make more spawn... by blowing the previous guy into bits :p
3. Is it possible to change the charecter you play as? Figured it be fun to make a map where you play as someone else for a change.
4. How do I add cover?
5. And lastly (for now :p) How do I fix this http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=583686&page=2
Thanks in advance, and sorry for being such and royal pain in the ass.
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
1. The skydome issue is what some come to call the hall of mirrors, in past Unreal Engine games. Its a simple fix, all you need to do is cover it up with an extremely large flat peace of bsp that reaches at the ends of your skydome. The reason its doing that is because your looking off into blank space where theirs absolutely nothing there.
2. You can use an emergence hole to spawn multiple enemies or you can place multiple enemy spawn points with there own individual AI factory per spawn, if you set more then one enemy to spawn using the same AI factory on the same spawn point they will gib into bits.
3. I dont know about changing your character although I would figure its possible, I havent gotten around to it yet to find out.
4. You can add cover nodes by digging around in the actor classes under navigation.
5. I'm not sure what your asking on this question.
11-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Okay, Thanks for the reply. About the 5th question I'd like to know how to fix the warning message I get, I added a link to that thread, its on the first page.
11-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Errors and warnings are something you will have to keep track of on the way as you map, you will always get them, theres really no avoiding it. The errors and warnings will usually tell you how to fix the problem anyways, you can see my post in that link of yours to see what I mean.
Its best that you get rid of as many warnings as you can but even when it comes down to publishing the map you will still run into a few, its up to you to recongnize if they're a serious issue with your map that may alter, gameplay, visuals or performance.
11-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Okay, thanks alot Kronos :)
11-10-2007, 09:48 PM
With the skydome problem, as was said before, it's because you're basically looking at nothingness (is that a word). The easiest way to fix this, btw, is to simply lower the skydome below the horizon of your level. If you watch the video tutorial on www.gasduck.com, he lowers the skydome way below the surface he is standing on. Takes care of the problem really easy-like.
11-11-2007, 12:25 AM
How do I make emerege holes, and how do I make 'em spit out bots?
11-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Back again :p got a question or two about Emerge Holes. How do I make 'em actual holes so that I can't walk over them and I'll be able to throw granades into them?
Also how do I make them close after every bot from it is dead or the granade blows it?
So far I've been able to make it spawn mobs, however when it spawn mobs the original floor shows where the actual hole is supposed to be.
If your having a hard time understanding what I'm trying to say, take a look at this picture: http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5307/ehsb8.jpg
11-11-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm going to assume you already know how to spawn enemies using UnrealKismet and the warspawner node, if you dont just ask.
Open actor classes and scroll down to the bottom, under warspawner select warspawner_emergence hole, add it to your map, and level it with the floor.
Next take a cylinder shape and subtract it into your floor where your emergence hole is, make sure its around the equel size in hight, and radius.
After that, reopen UnrealKismet, and click on your AI Factory, in its properties open up the spawnsets area, you can add as many with even a mix of monsters to come out of the hole.
PS: You can even have COG come out of emergence holes.:)
11-11-2007, 03:11 AM
Thanks so much Kronos :D
11-11-2007, 04:33 AM
There are also some Emergence hole static meshes that you can fill the subtracted hole with, like a textured tunnel going down into the ground... It makes it prettier =D
And you can use Kismet to open/close the holes based on event triggers (like walking into a trigger volume)
11-11-2007, 06:57 AM
How do you scale your skydome? Some times I cant even see it when I make a static mesh. Also how do I bring up that Kismet editor. I read you press K but that doesent work
11-11-2007, 09:28 PM
FWIW you really don't need to make a bunch of different AI Factories to spawn enemies, just use one, and under "spawn set" you can tell it how many to spawn from that factory, and how many max can be alive at one time (each one that dies will mean more are spawned until the total of enemies are spawned).
Also, add different spawnsets to a single kismet AI Factory, so that you can spawn different types of enemies from a single kismet factory action. it's just cleaner that way.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.