View Full Version : terrain again
09-02-2003, 04:37 AM
Well..... im following the terrain creation tutorial at http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/CreatingTerrain/ and i do every thing right but my terrain isnt showing up?? and before any of u say it, i have moved the camera above the terrainfo actor and i still cant see it.
Wots goin on???
09-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Try move around the terrain-info a little bit aside/up&down and rebuilt geometry again.
And make sure that the terrain-info is not inside a bsp-brush.
09-02-2003, 09:06 AM
I had that problem a lot when i first started messing with Terrain. The written tutorials confused me. The VTM's at masteringunreal.com were did a pretty good job helping me understand though. I couldn't make the terrain show up until I actually created the first layer for some reason. After you do all the steps, try creating 1 layer on the layer tab. I sometimes had to close the editor and start over though until I could figure it out.
09-02-2003, 01:35 PM
If you don't see the terrain
There's few posibilities why you don't see the terrain:
1. Your terrain is over or under the substracted cube, even if the terrain info is in the middle. Go to TOP view and turn the terrain on. Right klick on the top toolbar >view>show terrain (or hit the letter (T). If you see the terrain in top viewport and not in perspective viewport the terrain is there but it's outside the substracted cube.
Solution: just move the TerrainInfo up or down until the terrain is where you want it to be. Here you might have to change the height of the subsracted cube.
2. There is no alpha in  Layer (must be a white 16 bit n X n texture where n is 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512 or ...) Advice use 128x128 or 256x256 texture. Make it in Photoshop and import it in myLevel package (don't save this package though - myLevel package save's it itself when you save your map).
3. There is no height texture in TerrainInfo>TerrainMap. (must be the same dimensions as alpha layers only diference is that it has to be 8 bit (256 colour) white texture. Also imported in mylevel.
4. There is no texture of the terrain (TerrainInfo>Layers>>Texture). Use one of many terrain textures that come withe the game (look in AbaddonTerrain.utx, AlleriaTerrain.utx, ArboreaTerrain.utx ...)
5. In TerrainInfo>Layers>>UScale and VScale must be larger than 0. This determines the size of terrain texture.
One thing before you start buld your terrain from teh flat one you got in the begining.
Klick the TerrainEditing tool - you will see your Heighmap Info: Right klick on that white texture and convert it to 16-Bit.
Now you can build your Terrain.
09-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Mine --> http://www.unrealops.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=29
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.